Tenth Annual 7-Course Dinner to Benefit Friends of James Beard Foundation
LAS VEGAS (August 2011) – It’s the annual dinner that reunites a constellation of legendary chefs for a worthy cause. Chef André Rochat proudly announces the 10th Annual Jean-Louis Palladin Dinner will take place Sunday, Oct. 16 inside Alizé at the Top of the Palms, headlined by an array of today’s top Las Vegas chefs. Proceeds to benefit the James Beard Foundation.
”Jean-Louis helped raise the level of dining in Las Vegas with his restaurant NAPA,” says Rochat. “He was a leader in his craft and focused on the importance of emphasizing the freshest, finest ingredients from farmers and purveyors to customers. I am proud to host the annual Jean-Louis Palladin event honoring a great friend and chef.”
For a twist to this year’s celebrations, chefs will create dishes inspired by Jean-Louis Palladin and his techniques. Known as the chef who put fine dining on the proverbial map, he inspired world-renowned chefs to emerge from their kitchen and go to the farms in search of the finest products no matter where they were located.
For this year’s dinner, the spectacular 280-degree view of the Las Vegas valley from Alizé on The Palms’ 56th floor, will only add to the ambience. The menu will be as follows:
Passed Hors D’Oeuvres
Created by Pascal Sanchez, executive chef, TWIST by Pierre Gagnaire
- Roquefort Bouchon, Apricot Purée Glaze, Pecan Nuts, Banyuls Syrup
- Hot Chinese Buns, Soya Sauce Shallot Fondue, Smoked Eel, Domestic Sevruga Caviar
- Yuko Potato Chips, Aged Balsamic, Date Purée
- Jack Daniels & Guinness Cube, Ginger Cake Powder
- Goat Cheese Tartlet, Meringue, Colombo Disc
To be paired with Taittinger, “Prelude” Grand Crus, Reims
First Alternating Course
- Chilled Maine Lobster Salad with Celery Root And Green Apple Rémoulade with Lobster Glace and Black Truffle Vinaigrette by Mark Purdy, chef de cuisine, Alizé at the Top of the Palms Casino Resort
- Beef Carpaccio with Watercress Salad, Fried Quail Eggs, Marinated Wild Mushrooms
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese, Home Made Grain Mustard Aioli
- Arnaud Massat, Executive Sous Chef – Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino
To be paired with Château d’Aqueria, Tavel Rosé, 2010
Second Alternating Course
- Casco Bay Sea Scallop, Compote of Belgian Endive, Alsace Gewürztraminer Jus by Joung Sohn, executive chef, Eiffel Tower Restaurant at Paris Hotel & Casino
- Gn-Avioli stuffed with Sottocenere Cheese, Sautéed Pioppini and White Truffle by Luciano Pellegrini, chef/owner, Valentino’s at the Venetian
To be paired with Domaine Emil Beyer, Pinot Gris, Alsace, 2009
Third Alternating Course
- Pan Roasted Wild Columbian Sturgeon and Spice Cured Pancetta / Littleneck Clams / Peppercorn Jus by Grant MacPherson, chef/owner, Scotch Myst
- Kashmir Style Tandoori Prawns with Steamed Chick Pea and Yogurt Pavé and Ginger, Paprika and Toasted Nigella Seeds by Martin Heierling, executive chef, Sensi at Bellagio and Vdara at CityCenter
To be paired with Domaine Ferret, Pouilly-Fuissé, 2008
Fourth Alternating Course
- Sea Urchin Tongues with Sea Urchin Flan, Sea Urchin Sauce by Brian Howard, executive chef, Comme Ca at The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas
- La Timbale de Queue de Boeuf Kobe by Gregory Pugin, executive chef, Le Cirque at Bellagio
To be paired with Domaine Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy, Sancerre Rouge, 2009
Fifth Alternating Course
- Togarashi Crusted Australian Kobe Beef Strip Loin with Spinach Mousseline, Confit Yukon Gold Potatoes Black Truffle Jus by Vincent Pouessel, executive chef, Aureole at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- Mary’s Farm Organic Chicken with Fresh Truffle, Celery Root Purée, Roasted Fennel, Cippolini Onions and Burgundy Sauce by Barry S. Dakake, executive chef, N9NE Steakhouse, Palms Casino Resort and Geno Bernardo, executive chef, NOVE Italiano, Palms Casino Resort
To be paired with Maison Louis Jadot, Nuits-St. Georges, 2007
Sixth Alternating Course
- Roasted ‘Brie de Meaux’ with Calvados, Celery Apple Salad, Cider Gelée and Walnut Bread by Laurent Pillard, executive chef, Burger Bar & Fleur at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- Cheese Trio with Caramelized Pear Stilton Bleu Cheese Dried Apricot Filo Dough
Brillat Savarin Toasted Brioche with Goat Cheese Crusted with Pink Peppercorn and Pistachio by Jean Philippe Dufoin, chef/owner, Creative Catering
To be paired with Rothman & Winter, Orchard Apricot Liqueur, Austria
Seventh Alternating Course
- Dark Chocolate Grand Marnier Linzer Tart with Candied Orange, Honey Caramel Crème, Sesame Brittle by Megan Romano, executive pastry chef, Aureole at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- Tarte Tatin with Spiced Pumpkin Sorbet, Lavender “Jam” and Marcona Almonds by Bryan Podgorski, chef de cuisine, Bouchon at the Venetian
To be paired with Broadbent, 10 year Malmsey, Madeira or Paul Goerg, Brut Rosé Champagne, Vertus
- Coffee or Tea and Petit Fours by Tammy Alana, pastry chef, Alizé at the Palms and Andre’s at Monte Carlo
The evening will begin with a cocktail reception at ghostbar at 5:30 p.m. where hors d’oeuvres will be served during the silent auction. Dinner will begin at 7 p.m. at Alizé. Celebrity journalist Robin Leach will emcee the event. Tickets are $295 per person and proceeds benefit the Jean-Louis Palladin Fund of the James Beard Foundation.
For reservations, please call (702) 951-7000.
ABOUT CHEF JEAN-LOUIS PALLADIN
Chef Jean-Louis Palladin is considered one of the culinary geniuses of the 20th century. He was a master of his craft, known for his creativity, passion, technique, and commitment to the very best. Jean-Louis was as much a teacher as a chef, encouraging and mentoring many while demanding perfection of himself and all around him. He was funny, laughed easily, and embraced life fully. The James Beard Foundation is proud to offer the Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study Grant. Created to perpetuate the mission and programs of the Jean-Louis Palladin Foundation, the initiative will provide a series of annual grants of up to $10,000 to working chefs. This grant will allow recipients to spend time learning from and working with master growers, producers, and food artisans; to toil alongside renowned chefs in America and abroad; and to study varied specialized skills. For more information http://www.jamesbeard.org/index.php?q=education_jlp_main.
ABOUT ALIZÉ AT THE TOP OF THE PALMS
Named after the gentle trade winds that sweep the French Caribbean Islands, Alizé at the Top of the Palms features world-class cuisine, service and wine list, boasting the most dramatic view of the famous Las Vegas Strip. Chef and Proprietor André Rochat of the respected and award winning Andre’s Restaurant, opened Alizé – the crown jewel of his culinary empire in 2001 on the top floor of the Palms Casino Resort. Alizé quickly became the talk of the town and has gained notoriety and accolades being named by Condé Nast Traveler as one of the top new restaurants in the world. Located inside the Palms Casino Resort at 4321 W. Flamingo Road, Alizé is open daily from 5:30 p.m. For more information, find us on Facebook or Twitter.
ABOUT THE JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
There’s something delicious happening every day at the James Beard Foundation. Our diverse programs include workshops, classes, conferences, readings, and other educational experiences that help people learn about and engage with food. We offer scholarships to culinary students who need financial support to pursue careers in the food and beverage industry. We invite chefs to participate in events at the James Beard House in New York City and at events abroad to allow people to experience America’s dynamic cuisine first hand. We also administer the annual James Beard Foundation Awards, which recognize and honor excellence among chefs, cookbook authors, food journalists, restaurant designers, and others working in the food and beverage industry. For more information www.jamesbeard.org.